-->

Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Yarn Shopping



We had a fabulous time in Martha's Vineyard when we went for a sunny (amazing!!!) July weekend. One of the many highlights was visiting the Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm booth at the farmer's market. I bought some beautiful sock yarn, it was hard to choose. Can't wait to get some of it on my needles. I also bought some worsted from Mermaid Farm. Gorgeous brown, lots of lanolin to keep my hands soft. I'm thinking that it will make a nice pair of mittens and hat for me. Over the 4th we were in NYC and I slipped into Knitty City for a fiber break. Love that store. The people are so nice and the yarn selection is fabulous. I picked up some Shibui sock yarn which I love. It was such a pleasure to knit with when I made a pair of Cloverleaf Lace mitts as a gift that I wanted some for myself. I also got a skein of Malabrigo sock, which I haven't tried yet, and an absolutely gorgeous skein of madelinetosh pure silk lace. It feels like water in your hands. My skein (1,000 yds.) is in the sequoia colorway, red. Haven't decided on a pattern yet, it's going to be amazing.
Currently I'm fighting off a bad case of startitis. Almost finished with the Boyfriend socks and I won't start another pair of socks until they are off the needles. Two shawls are in progress, Shipwreck (I'm at the bead stage and it's brutal) and a Flower Basket that I'm making as a gift. My friend Barb put us up last weekend for our 35th(!!) high school reunion. She has a beautiful garden, so I thought the FB would be appropriate. Thinking of adding colored beads to the "baskets" of the final row. Beads in every basket would be too much but I think a few at the bottom of the shawl will add some interest and just a little weight. And, I'm using some yarn from my stash!! I bought the yarn (Misti Alpaca Lace) for Hanami! The Yarn Basket had it on sale. $11.50 for a shawl is okay by me. Can't wait to cast on.
Another rainy day here in Maine, time to knit.

1 comment:

  1. I've tried to knit but it looks more like a knot, a not very attractive knot I might add. You blog is inspirational... maybe I WILL give it another try...

    ReplyDelete